How to prepare to deal with a death
- Get familiar with the Janazah process.
Step 1 : Download PowerPoint Viewer. If you do not have PowerPoint on your computer, you can download this free tool from Microsoft to view PowerPoint files below.
Step 2 : Review Janazah Workshop Slides.
Step 3 : Review Janazah Workshop Notes.
- Get familiar with a funeral home. Visit the funeral home and get telephone, fax and the emergency phone numbers. Try to obtain and keep the name of a contact person at the funeral home.
- Obtain and keep a list of Muslim brothers and sisters who are willing to wash the body or help you in washing the body. Dar-us-Salaam has a list of volunteers trained and ready to help. Please call 301-982-9848.
- Purchase and keep in a safe place in your house, body wraps for men and women.
The body wraps must be clean, cotton (non-silken), preferably white cloth. The materials required are as follows:
For a male body: One (1) piece 4 feet wide by 12 feet long and two (2) pieces 4 feet wide by 8 feet long.
For a female body: One (1) piece 4 feet wide by 12 feet long and four (4) pieces 4 feet wide by 8 feet long.
Also obtain and keep in a safe place in your house a non-alcohol perfume (camphor). Sooq al-Huda sells Janazah kits with all the required items. Call them at 301-982-9511.
- Get familiar with the Muslim Burial Grounds.
- You can purchase a burial site at the Muslims Burial Grounds by contacting Masjids in Maryland.
Be sure to obtain the information and designation of the burial site. (E.G. - site #?, Lot #?, Section ?)